- adjectivehaving or covered with protective barbs or quills or spines or thorns or setae etc.-
a horse with a short bristly mane-
setaceous whiskers• Syn:↑barbed, ↑briary, ↑briery, ↑bristled, ↑bristly, ↑burred, ↑burry, ↑prickly, ↑setose, ↑setaceous, ↑spiny, ↑thorny• Similar to: ↑armed• Derivationally related forms:↑thorniness (for: ↑thorny), ↑thorn (for: ↑thorny), ↑spininess (for: ↑spiny), ↑seta (for: ↑setaceous), ↑prickle (for: ↑prickly), ↑prickliness (for: ↑prickly), ↑burr (for: ↑burry), ↑bristliness (for: ↑bristly), ↑bristle (for: ↑bristly), ↑briar (for: ↑briary), ↑barbel
* * *\\ˈbärbəˌlāt, (ˈ)bär|belə̇t\ adjectiveEtymology: New Latin barbella short stiff hair (diminutive of Latin barbula, diminutive of barba beard + English -ate — more at beardbiology : having short stiff hooked bristles or hairs
* * */bahr"beuh layt', bahr bel"it, -ayt/, adj. Bot., Zool.having short, stiff hairs.
* * *barbˈellate adjective (botany)Having barbed or bearded bristles• • •Main Entry: ↑barb
* * *barbellate, a.(ˈbɑːbəleɪt)Furnished with barbellæ or short stiff hairs: specific epithet of the pappus in some Composite plants.in Craig.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.